Last revised: August 1, 2012
- Contacting Us
- Highlights of Our Practices
- What Information We Collect
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- Information Sharing and Disclosure
- Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
- Opting Out of Communications
- Children Under the Age of 13
- Cross-Border Data Transfers
- Changes to this Policy
- Information We Collect:
- We collect information about you from a variety of sources, including:
- Information you provide to us directly through the Properties, such as when you fill out a registration form.
- Information automatically collected when you visit or use our Properties, such as information on how you were referred to our site and what you do on our site.
- Information from third parties, such as our vendors and business partners.
- We collect information about you from a variety of sources, including:
- How Your Information Is Used and/or Disclosed:
- We use the information we collect to fulfill your requests, conduct transactions with you, communicate with you about our products and other matters, manage our Properties, provide targeted advertising to you and conduct research and analysis.
- We do not sell or rent your personal information to third party marketers.
- We may combine all the information we collect about you.
- We may share your information:
- With our third party service providers that assist or support our business operations, such as fulfillment, research, marketing and technology.
- With our affiliates, retailers and third party business partners for research, analysis and other purposes, but not for their direct marketing purposes.
- In an aggregated form that cannot identify you.
- If all or part of our business is sold to another company.
- To protect and defend our or other parties’ rights, safety and property.
- When required by law and/or government authorities.
- Your Choices:
- If you have opted in to receive communications from us, we may send you emails or text messages containing newsletters, special offers and other information.
- You can stop receiving promotional messages by following the instructions contained in such communication, or if applicable, by logging into the communication preference center on the website associated with your account.
- We may participate in online behavioral advertising initiatives that result in advertisements targeted to you based on your online behavior. However, we offer you the ability to opt-out of some of our advertising activities.
We may collect several types of information about you, including:
- We may collect personal information through your use of the Properties, such as when you register for our Properties, subscribe to receive our communications, update your account information, enter contests or sweepstakes, respond to surveys, rate or review products, make purchases, contact us with questions or comments, apply for a job, submit user generated content or participate in our online forums, promotions and social media platforms.
- This personal information can include data attributes like your full name, username, password, email address, telephone number, physical or billing mail addresses, date of birth and other information you may provide to us, as well as credit card numbers or, in some limited cases, national ID numbers, like your social security number, for tax reporting purposes related to some high-value promotional prize awards. It may also include other personally-identifiable information we have collected from you, such as your attitudes and opinions about our products, demographics, interests, household or lifestyle information, satisfaction with our website and newsletters and your purchasing and browsing behavior. Additionally, it may include a resume or curriculum vitae or other information you submitted in connection with a job application or inquiry. If you have contacted us on behalf of a business or other entity, we may also collect your work contact information and details about your business or entity that you provide to us.
- In some instances, we may combine non-personal information with personal information, such as combining your name with your geographic location or your browsing history. If we combine any non-personal information with personal information, we will treat the combined information as personal information as long as it is combined. We also may combine personal information with information we receive about you from outside sources. For example, we may obtain commercially available demographic information about you from third parties, get device information from mobile applications or advertisements or purchase e-mail or similar lists from third parties for advertising and marketing purposes.
Other information we collect through our Properties:
- Non-personal information: We may collect non-personal information that does not uniquely identify any individual. This might include demographic information like age and income range, gender, education, household size and marital status, as well as information from which identifying particulars have been removed. If this non-personal information does not personally identify you, we may collect, use and disclose non-personal information for any purpose, such as research to improve our products or advertising.
- Server log files: An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider and is identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever you visit one of our Properties, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. We use IP addresses for purposes such as routing visitors to the appropriate website for the visitor’s country, calculating usage levels, helping diagnose server problems, and administering our Properties. If you accessed one of our Properties using a mobile device like a smartphone, we may also collect your phone’s unique device ID and other similar mobile device data.
- Cookies and similar technologies: We also employ technologies like Cookies, web beacons, clear GIF, pixel or Internet tag technologies which may uniquely identify your account, or the IP address associated with your Internet device. A “Cookie” is a small text file containing a random and unique alphanumeric identifier that our Properties may transfer to your computer's hard drive through your web browser that enables our systems to recognize your browser. These technologies provide us with information related to the ways consumers interact with our advertising or our Properties, like browser type, browsing behaviors, user web requests, pages and content viewed, the number of new visits or log-ins, search engine referral, affiliate referrals, traffic driven by banner ads or other promotions, which items are placed in shopping carts and which are abandoned, conversions and what purchases were made and zip codes. Such technologies, like Cookies, can contain or store non-personal and personal information (such as if you have previously registered on our Properties or consented to the retention of certain personal information) and allow web browser servers to recognize return visits to our Properties, improve web browsing navigation, or the quality and delivery of certain features or customized content through our Properties. Some Cookies (known as “persistent cookies”) will remain on your computer or Internet device until you delete them, while others (known as “session cookies”) are automatically erased when you exit your Internet browser. You can set your computer or Internet device to accept or reject most Cookies, or to notify you in most situations that a Cookie is offered so that you can decide whether to accept it.
- Flash LSOs: We and our third-party service providers may use Flash Local Storage Objects (“Flash LSOs”) in certain situations, including to recognize you and remember your preferences or other details about your visit. Flash LSOs are different from browser Cookies because of the amount and type of data stored. In addition, you generally cannot control, delete or disable the acceptance of Flash LSOs from your browser. For more information on Flash LSOs, and to learn how to control them, click on the support page for your Flash player and choose Global Storage Settings Panel and follow the instructions. To see the Flash LSOs on your computer now, go to your Flash player’s Website Storage Settings Panel and follow the instructions to review and, if you choose, to delete any specific Flash LSO.
- Location data: Some of our Properties may allow you to submit information about your general location, such as your zip code or address, in order to locate stores that sell our products or provide other location-related services. With your consent, some of our Properties also may capture and record certain geo-location or global positioning data in order to provide location-related functionality. We may link such location data to other information that you provide to us or that may be accessed in connection with your use of our Properties.
- Online behavioral advertising: We, or service providers acting on our behalf, may place or recognize a unique Cookie on your browser when you visit our Properties. Our service providers use the Cookie to collect data about your use of our Properties, as well as about your use of third-party websites, and they use that data to serve customized advertisements to you as you browse the Internet. Our service providers may participate in the Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising managed by the Digital Advertising Alliance. As part of this program, our online behaviorally targeted advertisements may be delivered with “AdChoices” icons that help you understand how data about you is being used and provide you with the ability to opt out of such behaviorally targeted advertising. Additionally, our websites that participate in third party behavioral advertising may also contain such icons. Please click on an AdChoices icon or click here to learn more about your choices with respect to online behavioral advertising. When you click an AdChoices icon on our websites, you will also be provided with a list of third parties collecting behavioral advertising data on that site; please visit the privacy policies of those service providers, including BazaarVoice and Quantcast, to learn more about how they collect and use data and how you may opt out of such collection and use, if applicable. To learn more about the Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/consumers.
We may use the information we collect about you for purposes such as to:
- complete transactions you have requested or fulfill orders you have placed;
- respond to or follow-up on your comments, reviews, inquiries and other requests;
- deliver targeted advertising, product solutions or content or services you have requested;
- conduct research and analysis related to our business, products or Properties;
- improve our products, services or Properties and tailor them to your usage or preferences;
- communicate with you about contests, sweepstakes, loyalty or rewards programs, coupons, rebates, promotions or other matters which you have entered or joined or for which you have requested information;
- implement social networking features you have activated;
- publish your reviews, comments, photos, videos and other content you have posted to one of our interactive or user-generated features;
- communicate with you about your account or your use of our Properties;
- if you have opted-in to receive news, special offers or other information from us or one of our brands by email or text message, send you promotional messages we think will be of interest to you. If you no longer want to receive these direct marketing communications, you may opt-out of such communications by the methods describe in the “Opting Out of Communications” section below.
We will not sell or rent your personal information to third parties. From time to time, we may share your personal information with our affiliates, retail partners and other third party business partners (and their service providers), such as in the following circumstances:
- to conduct research and/or analysis;
- to prevent such parties from sending promotional messages on our behalf to people who have asked us to not send such messages; or
- if you have opted-in to receive promotional communications from us, send a tailored promotional communications to you jointly offering a product or service.
We will require these parties to maintain the confidentiality of your personal information, and will not authorize them to use the personal information we provide for their direct marketing purposes (as defined the California “Shine the Light” Law, California Civil Code §§ 1798.83) unless we have explicitly given you the option to opt-in or opt-out of such disclosure.
We rely on third party service providers to perform a variety of services on our behalf, and we may disclose your personal information to such service providers, such as fulfillment services, sweepstakes and contest administrators, loyalty and rebate program operators, technical support providers, customer service providers, delivery services, e-commerce providers, credit card processers and research and analytics providers. However, we do not authorize these third parties’ to use your data for purposes other than for which it has been provided, and do not authorize these third parties to disclose that information to unauthorized parties or use that information for their direct marketing purposes.
Additionally, we will use and disclose personally identifiable information we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain. In addition, we may transfer personal information and other information to a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, brands, affiliates, subsidiaries or other assets.
We may share aggregated or anonymous information that cannot identify you with third parties. For example, we may disclose the number of visitors to our websites, the number of people who have downloaded a particular coupon or the number of people from a certain state who purchased a product from one of our e-commerce websites.
If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from one of our brands on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of any email newsletter you receive from that brand, or, if you created an online account when you registered to receive our emails, you may log-in to your account on the applicable brand’s website and make changes to your communication preferences. If you no longer want to receive promotional text messages from one of our brands, please follow the cancellation instructions contained in the last text message sent by that brand. If you are having difficulty unsubscribing from our marketing communications using the above methods, please contact us directly at the email or mailing addresses listed above under “Contacting Us”.
To opt-out of our email Hive list or mobile messaging,click here.
We use organizational, technical and administrative means intended to protect stored and transmitted information from loss, misuse and unauthorized access or disclosure, and we seek to encrypt credit card numbers from e-commerce transactions conducted on our Properties using secure socket layer (SSL) technology. However, no method of Internet transmission or electronic storage is 100% secure or error-free, so we unfortunately cannot guarantee absolute security. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us by contacting us at the email address listed above.
Our Properties are not intended for children under the age of 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under age 13. If you are younger than 13, please do not use our Properties and please do not provide your personal information to us.
Because we operate globally, your personal information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers. By using our Properties, you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than in your country.