7 Tricks to Lip LayeringProduced by Allure with Burt’s Bees
What’s lip layering, you ask? No, it has nothing to do with planting your lips on another person’s… It’s simply putting on multiple layers of different lip colors to customize the exact shade and depth of color you want. It’s fun and easy and, if you’re ever bored on a Sunday afternoon, a great, creative way to kill an hour experimenting in front of the mirror. Here, a few tricks and mixtures to start with. —Emily Davis
• Make the back of your hand your initial testing table. Trust us: Your lips will thank you for not layering and removing dozens of lipsticks, crayons and glosses in search of your favorite mixtures.
• Make any shade sheer by first applying lip balm, like Burt’s Bees Beeswax Lip Balm with Vitamin E & Peppermint or Burt’s Bees Coconut & Pear Moisturizing Lip Balm. Then immediately layer on lipstick or lip crayon (or both) to make the color more sheer.
• Know what comes first. If you’re layering creamy, glossy, and matte shades, the matte, like Burt’s Bees Lip Crayons, always goes on first. Matte pigments stick to your lips best, ensuring that your custom, one-of-a-kind lip shade lasts.
• Keep it clean. Whenever you’re going to layer actual colors, apply the second (and third, and so forth) with a lip brush. Otherwise the tip of your lipstick, crayon, or gloss will look like a tie-dyed T-shirt.
• Soften any bright shade with a layer of nude lipstick on top, like Burt’s Bees Natural Lipstick in Nile Nude. We played with half a dozen bold and bright colors, and each one looked more daytime-ready thanks to Nile Nude.
• Make any color more pigmented by layering a similar shade of gloss on top. Some combos we love:
1. The sheer, bright, happy raspberry we got by layering Burt's Bees Natural Lipstick in Brimming Berry with Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Lip Shine in Pucker on top.
2. The rich eggplant we achieved by putting on Burt’s Bees Natural Lipstick in Juniper Water with Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Lip Shine in Smooch over it.
3. The pretty, highly-pigmented glossy petal-pink we created when we layered Burt’s Bees Lip Crayon in Carolina Coast, Burt's Bees Natural Lipstick in Tulip Tide, and then for some shimmer and more color, Burt’s Bees 100% Natural Lip Gloss in Spring Splendor.