Thriving Together: 2020 Impact Report
Our 2020 Impact Report is both a reflection on our past achievements and a look forward toward a cleaner and more resilient future.
So many of the big goals we’ve set over the years—like the ones we’ve set for 2025—are now simply part of how we work. We’ve achieved a 99.6% Natural Origin average across our formulas. 100% of our packaging is recyclable either curbside or through TerraCycle® and we use an average of 50% recycled materials across our packaging. We have Landfill-Free Operations and are CarbonNeutral® Certified.
It’s progress, made one step at a time. Now, we’re zeroing in on what’s next.
Goals Made Good
Ingredients From Nature
We strive for 100% natural origin formulas, and all of our products are over 95% natural origin. We formulate without phthalates, parabens, petrolatum and sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS).
Our packaging is recyclable curbside or through TerraCycle®. We avoid over-packaging, use high levels of post-consumer recycled materials, and choose packaging materials that are more easily recycled.
We’ve kept our operational waste out of landfills since 2010, diverting to compost, recycling centers or waste-to-energy facilities.
Leaping Bunny Certified
We do not test our products on animals or ask anyone else to do so on our behalf.
We invest globally in communities that support our supply chain, helping to safeguard access to clean water, support the empowerment of women and children, and promote health, safety and biodiversity.
Since 2015, we’ve invested in projects that reduce carbon pollution in the atmosphere to offset the carbon emissions from our facilities, transportation of our raw materials and finished products, and employee travel.
Just a few of our proudest accomplishments from 2012 to 2020, by the numbers.
million in grants
issued by the Burt’s Bees Foundation to protect biodiversity and reconnect people to nature
million+ in grants
and product donations
to frontline workers and vulnerable populations at the onset of COVID-19
through our Responsible Sourcing Assessments, third-party audits and Global Supply Chain Investment Program
waxes and butters
we purchase directly traced to origin and verified with on-site visits
planted to support pollinator forage and American farmers
global bee species
researching as part of the Half Earth Project in partnership with E.O. Wilson Biodiversity Foundation
On The Horizon: Our 2025 Goals
Reduce waste and energy, and work toward a circular economy
Net Zero Plastic to Nature
- 100% of packaging recyclable, reusable or compostable
- 50% reduction in virgin materials (plastic and fiber) by 2030 and 33% by 2025
- Invest in U.S. recycling infrastructure for an increase in recycling of plastic that’s equal to our plastic footprint**
A Climate-Focused Future
- 100% Renewable Electricity through Virtual Power Purchase Agreements
- Offset remaining carbon emissions from our facilities, the transportation of our raw materials and finished products, and employee travel
Uplift communities and improve sourcing practices
50,000 Livelihoods Supported
- 20 Global Supply Chain Investment Program projects help safeguard access to clean water, support women’s and children’s empowerment, and promote health, safety and biodiversity
- Responsible Sourcing assessments and third-party audits help ensure the well-being of workers, upholding human rights, health & safety, labor standards and practices, business ethics and environmental protections.